Bringing Historic and Landscape Preservation Together

First convened in June,1997, the Grafton Heritage Partnership Project (Partnership) is a volunteer non-profit organization governed by a Board of Trustees selected from participating organizations and families. The Partnership unites the interests of federal, state, local governments, private landowners and community groups to effectively work toward preserving Grafton as an historic site.

The Partnership’s purpose is to preserve and enhance the outstanding historical, agricultural, scenic, riparian, and cultural values of the Grafton historic townsite for the benefit of present and future generations.

A statement by John Ruskin (1819-1900) a founder of the National Trust made more than a century ago says it best about what we are trying to do at Grafton.

…”and if we do our job well, it is possible that our children will say, see they did this for us; they saw the beauty of the landscape and worth of these buildings, they protected and nurtured them and they passed them on to us”.…..

Grafton Heritage Partnership Project Board of Trustees include the following:

  • Jane Whalen, President; realtor, conservationist
  • Jack Burns, Vice President; Chief, Concessions Management, Zion National Park, Utah
  • Therese Feinauer, Treasurer, was a founding member of the Grafton Heritage Partnership Project, Rockville resident
  • Dr. Douglas D. Alder- was a founding member of the Grafton Heritage Partnership Project.
  • Dr. Alder moved to St. George to serve as president of Dixie College after teaching European History for 23 years at Utah State University. He was president of the Washington County Historical Society 1996-97. He has written many books on history. At the same time Dr. Alder created and organized “St. George Live.” This ongoing program of first person historical re-enactments at ten historic sites draws on the talents of over 175 volunteers to share the history of St. George. He has also served on various preservation committees, including the Pioneer Center for the Arts and the Downtown Redevelopment Advisory Board of St. George.  Was chairman of the Washington County Library Board and works with many other community groups.
  • Shirley Ballard- Grafton Land owner; Rockville resident
  • Jim Coleman- Descendant of Grafton; realtor
  • Dale Johnson- Rancher who runs cattle in Grafton
  • Ron Morris- Descendant of Grafton, historical researcher
  • Anne Stanworth- retired Bureau of Land Management (BLM)

Partners:

  • Private Landowners
  • Descendants
  • Town of Rockville
  • Rockville Historic Preservation Commission
  • Washington County
  • Bureau of Land Management
  • Zion National Park
  • Grand Canyon Trust
  • Attiyeh Foundation
  • Jeff and Shirley Ballard landowners
  • Dale Johnson Family

Donors:

  • George and Delores Dore’ Eccles Foundation
  • Katherine W. Dumke and Ezekiel R. Dumke, Jr. Foundation
  • Dr. Ezekiel R. and Edna Wattis Dumke Foundation
  • Simmons Family Foundation
  • R. Harold Burton Foundation
  • OC Tanner Company
  • Utah Division of State History
  • National Trust of Historic Preservation
  • Utah Department of Agriculture
  • Utah Quality Growth Commission
  • National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
  • River restoration to remove non native plants: National Resources Conservation Service; US Fish and Wildlife Service, Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program; Utah Division of Forestry Fire and State Lands; Utah Division of Wildlife Resources